Great beginner snares at a glance:
The best beginner snare drums are great tools that can be played on their own, or used as perfect instruments for practicing. Find out which one is right for you.
Snare drums are an essential part of any drum kit as they dictate the tempo of the drum solo. They serve as a timing tool that drummers use effectively. The best snare drum, in actuality, goes beyond the drum kit as a whole. It can be played on its own, with a pair of cymbals, or slung over shoulder and played in a marching band.
The list of uses that a snare drum has, the scenarios and musical arrangement to which it can fit in is not necessarily broad, but they are enough to justify starting your drum set with the best snare drum kit that money can buy. Some of them come packaged with drumsticks, stands and even cymbals.
Three Snare Drums Thrumming Up A Storm
1. ADM Student Snare Drum Set
- QUALITY beginner Chrome snare drum
- pad case sticks and stand included
- Note: the stand is 2.5 ft tall. It's standard SIZE stand for players to sit by. With strap, you can also play Our durm without sit. Affordable way to start playing
The ADM Student Snare Drum Set is a beginners drum kit that comes with a 14″ x 5″ steel snare drum. Some of its key features include:
- Chrome Finish
ADM Snare Drum comes with a hairline nickel finish which adds to the responsiveness of this student’s drum.
- Standard Size
The drum itself is measured like any full-sized drum which can provide a positive real-drum experience for student drummers. The included stand is measured at 19 inches, adding the drum makes the total height at 26 inches, the standard height for snare drums in professional drum kits.
- Rubber Practice Pad
This ADM Snare Drum comes with a rubber practice pad which reduces the sound produced making it ideal for practicing at home or any other area where reduced noise is required.
- Adjustable Shoulder Straps
ADM Snare Drum comes with soft straps that can be adjusted to fit any body type.
- Padded Backpack
This drum comes in a portable, padded backpack that lets you carry the snare kit around, be it to a gig or band practice.
- Rubber cover mutes the drum sound letting you practice anywhere without having to worry about disturbing others
- Great tool for learning how to play the drums
- Produces good sound quality
- Can produce sharp and loud sounds when used without the rubber pad
- Stand may be a little short for adults or bigger kids but perfect for setting your young ones in a musical way
- Stand feels flimsy and may seem ready to fall over even with its three legs
- Adjusting the stand is a challenge.
- Snare head breaks sooner or later, and a better replacement should be ordered ahead of time
About: At All Days Music, our mission is to deliver a better value for your investment.
2. Mendini Student Snare Drum Set
- 14-inch x 5.5-inch student snare drum
- 30-inch snare stand with 10 lugs (standard size as it is meant for adults or students to sit by.)
- Rubber practice pad to mute the drum's sound
The Mendini Student Snare Drum Set is another beginners drum kit that comes with a stand and a pair of wooden drumsticks. This student snare drum kit comes with the following features:
- Standard Sizing
The Mendini Snare measures 14″ x 5.5″ which is the regulation size for snare drums.
- Regulation Stand
This snare drum comes with a 30-inch stand with ten lugs. This is the average height for snare drum stands that fit users of all ages.
- Rubber Practice Pad
The Mendini Snare Drum comes with a rubber padding that mutes the sound of you practicing late at night.
- Adjustable Neck Strap
This snare drum kit also comes with an adjustable neck strap for carrying the snare out into the field.
- Padded Backpack
The Mendini Snare Drum comes with a padded gig bag that lets you bring it anywhere.
- Excellent sound
- Lugs help keep the drum in tune
- Rubber padding lets you practice anywhere
- Replaceable Snare head allowing you to modify the sound quality of this snare drum
- Stand is a little heavy to lug around
- Stand can be a little higher than standard although still playable with a full set of drums
- No clear instructions to help you set up
- Gig bag is poorly made, and the zippers break easily
About: The Mendini brand is manufactured by Cecilio. Based in California, Cecilio provides musical instruments that inspire musical talent with quality and value.
3. Griffin Snare Drum
- ACHIEVE THAT BRILLIANT ATTACK YOU'VE BEEN CRAVING: Have you been looking for that perfect sounding snare drum that would offer you a brilliant, powerful crack with beautiful overtones? Well, your search is finally over! Boasting a 3-ply, 7.5mm, 100% poplar wood construction, this snare drum will match any music style including rock, metal, funk, gospel or even pop and give that punchy, penetrating sound you've been looking for, perfectly complimenting your playing.
- UPGRADE YOUR DRUM KIT'S STYLE: Its exquisite, Black Hickory shell wrap with simple, high-gloss finish that is simply gorgeous to look at and the unrivalled craftsmanship make this deluxe musical instrument a worthy addition to any drummer's collection. An excellent choice for beginners, students or professional musicians, this 14" x 5.5" snare drum can be easily used as a primary or secondary snare. Drum head top: White coating. Drum head bottom: clear.
- CLASS-LEADING THROW OFF: Equipped with a top notch, smooth and quiet drum throw off that promises flawless operation and a fluid movement every time, this drum throw off will allow you to easily tighten, loosen or mute the snares according to your preference, without failing or locking up! Specifications: Snare wire: 10 strand. Hardware finish: Chrome. Gross weight: 6 pounds.
The Griffin Snare Drum is a student’s snare kit that is designed with a poplar wood shell and glossy finish. It comes with a pair of wooden sticks as well as the following key features:
- Quality Materials and Finish
This snare drum by Griffin is made using 3-ply, 7.5-mm poplar wood as the exterior shell and a glossy PVC finish.
- Regulation Size
The snare drum itself measures 14″ x 5.5″ and can fit in any standard drum set.
- Eight Tuning Lugs
The Griffin Snare Drum comes with tuning lugs that let you tune it without any hitch.
- Smooth Throw Off
This snare drum comes with a quiet drum throw off that lets you tighten or loosen the snares to your preference.
- Thumps like a whip
- Produces good-quality sound with every beat
- High-quality materials
- Can be repurposed with a new head to create a professional snare drum
- Can be tuned high or low and will still produce that characteristic snare beat
- Perfect for beginners and students
- Nice alternative to more expensive professional snare drum kits
- Snare head and wire modifications are all this snare drum needs to sound more professional and easy to the ear
- Does not come with any instructions or any information about the product at all
- Snare throw-off is a little off-putting and flimsy, but a quick adjustment with the snare wires can do the trick
- Snare drums rattle a bit from the bottom and might need adjustments from time to time
About: The Griffin brand is built upon reliable service, economical products, and top-notch customer service. Griffin aspires to build its reputation upon reliability, in turn earning respect among new customers and a relationship with repeat customers.
Compare these snare drums:
Our Pick for The Best Snare Drum
Out of the three listed snare drum kits, the Griffin Snare Drum is the clear option when it comes to producing great-quality sound while sporting a classic wooden shell finish. The eight lugs let you tune this snare drum quickly and easily, while the heads are made of quality membranes that respond beautifully to the sticks. The throw-off is a nice addition as it allows you to tighten, loosen, and even mute the sound as you go.
Snare drums offer a characteristic beat to any song. If you love a good rhythm, then learn how to play and master it at any age as it is the gateway instrument to the amazing world of percussion. What are you waiting for? Pick up a pair of sticks and start hitting that beat!